"the" Mrs. Astor

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

In the never-ending battle between good (that would be me) and evil, I embarked on another series of conflicts with City Hall today. Unless we hire a professional permit dealer to complete THIS battle, I am sure to lose it. This morning, as I was being shifted to one office to another, I stood in line for 40 minutes paying a bill from a previous owner for $2.80 trying to explain that I wanted to pay and wanted them to erase it from their records.

This afternoon I found myself at the same counter trying to pay the same people $2,800 for a current bill; it looked as if I might have to wait 40,000 minutes to pay that, but something quite unusual and something I just eat up happened.

Next to me was an elderly lady, exquisitly dress in cream linen slacks and a fire-engine red blazer with a near, white bob going on about how confusing all these city and county bills had become, how she couldn't understand why they were billing for property she no longer owed, how her only daughter had died and left her alone to deal with these things, and why weren't there people to help her. She was nearly crying when she said she had trouble going to the drugstore, let alone wandering around City Hall. I was feeling very sad, but the clerk was being extremely understanding and helpful (something I had never seen before there), and every now and then we shot a glance to each other as if to say, "We wish we could help. Getting old and being alone is A Bitch". I listened, too, as I had about another 39,950 minutes to wait.

It was obvious from her dress and carriage that she was not poor and she had what turned out to be a Swedish accent. She brought out many ID's and said, "Look; I've always kept all my paperwork. Here's my original driver's license when I first arrive in 1961." (It was of a young, blonde woman, my eyes were all over her now.) "I still have everything; even my first Social Security Card." The clerk, a patient black woman of about 50 exclaimed, "I've never seen that before on a card", and I bent over to look closer, too. It read "Countess so-and-so de Lewenhaupt" (no more full names until Google melts down)

The old lady said, "We were Swedish nobility when we arrived. We never started any wars. We did everything the right way. Wen I came here they asked by name and that's how I gave it." Fabulous! We all could have "Countess" on our cards if only our parents had been bright enough. She lightened up, the clerk and I were just gleeful and the lady asked the clerk to lunch. I left them still arguing about lunch (that elegant, lonely lady wanted someone to talk with so badly) and--of course--Googled the De Lewenhaupt name.

This is the Star of 1780 from Areen and Lewenhaupt. and that family does have quite a history it appears. Oh, that City Hall.

6 Comments:

At 11:42 PM, Blogger The INFOSEC Consultant said...

Sometimes fate shows that it has a sense of humor and affords you an opportunity or insight. NEVER spit in fate's eye, just say "Thank you."

 
At 12:36 AM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

Just imagine having "Countess" on your Social Security Card. *sigh*

The Swedish Countess sounds absolutely lovely. I'd like to have lunch with her.

 
At 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, if I knew I had to get a kleenex to read your blog today....I would have also had a gin and tonic to calm my nerves and sadness down.
"You are one of a kind" Better known as, "a hand full !"
That is why we love you!

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Fate is fashioned to it's patrons.

Countess; if we only knew.

Brad, I have NEVER known you without a gin-in-hand (usually, free),

 
At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A bona fide countess such as yours would get trampled by a Yuppie needing a latte from Starbucks here in IndyTucky.

I know who I'd rather have dinner with though.

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Mike, the answer is with both of us. I'll be working on that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home