"the" Mrs. Astor

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Bella

I was at a luncheon on Sunday that was rather political in nature and I made a remark about one of the current commissioners being "like Bella Abzug, just lobotomized". One unnamed member of the table asked who she was, and I realizedI was dating myself again. (But not by that much.)

When I was just a little tyke on my grandma's lap, I used to watch The Walter Chronkite Show (it was all she would allow). Through that, I became familiar with a fiesty, Jewish lady named Bella in New York. Bella had a great slogan during her campaign: "Yeah, a woman's place in the the house....The House of Representatives!" (maddening applause)
Easily elected, she became the immediate thorn--NO I mean hatpin--in the side of Nixon. Her flamboyant hats could not ever come close to her radical thoughts on how the country was being so poorly run. Nixon tried to indimidate her, but that was Oh-So-Wrong, because she acted as if she was an unleashed jackel and went for the very, open neck.

What few will remember now was of a wonderful example of a strong woman climbing up on a soap box and saying: "Woman are equal. Gays are equal. And, Mr. President, STOP THE WAR!"

If we only had a Bella Abzug today......

6 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

One of my heroines; right up there with Betty Friedan. Independent women who made a difference!

 
At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog is fascinating! I was led to you through Luis, whom I met at Palace. A GWF with no where to go, and I must say it felt a little like home (Provincetown MA). Your comment about wealth and poverty struck me, as I was down over the summer photographing just that--the homeless on the Beach with the extravagant hotels as a backdrop. One piece was showing in our local musuem for bit and is now at a gallery outside of boston. Good bye and good luck. I just started my own blog but don't know how to send you to it! You could see my pic of my homeless friend.

 
At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoy reading your blog - I used to hang out at the Palace in the 90's but haven't been there in what seems just as long. Hey - if you remember feisty Bella then you can remember such goodies as Jacob Javits and what about that marvelous gravely voiced ebony genius - Shirley Chisholm! Well I guess that about reveals my age... Roberto desde North Bay Village

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Jesse said...

*SIGH* I love a strong woman!!

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

shirley Chisholm?????!!!!

I loved her; on her first assignment as a rep from a poor section of Broodlyn she REFUSED a seat on the Forestry Committee saying forrests had no point in her representation. She was a saint.

 
At 11:42 PM, Blogger Maven said...

Thanks for reminding me of Ms. Bella...definitely worthy of a Google or AMazoning her and seeing if I can pick up a biography.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home