"the" Mrs. Astor

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

An Edict From My Death Bed

How foolish was I? One after another of my associates came down with flu, bronchitis, and the such and I thought it would all pass me by. Surely, I took precautions: I didn't kiss on the lips, washed my hands regularly, and looked into the distance when addressed. When "the plague" started in full force I homed in on old remedies like having my corset tightened and fresh ringlets shaped in my hair.

Alas, IT struck me yesterday and I couldn't even reply in kind when one wag said, "Nothing can fell an Battleaxe like you". Battleaxe, indeed. If I had had the strenth to lift my fan, I would have slapped her.

Nevertheless, while being attended by favored Ladies is Waiting, I issue this edict: The entire court is summoned on Sunday to celebrate the birthday of one of my favorites, Ray, bartender to the Latino stars. He likes sex toys, scanty clothing, and gift certificates.

3 Comments:

At 3:55 PM, Blogger Tom said...

I feel your pain, Alexis. Both of us to the manor born and still struck down by the common cold.

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Jesse said...

Uncle Alexis,

Feel better!!! I'll try to cook up some chicken soup for you, but don't know how I'd ship it to Miami! Maybe Aunt Hadassah can make you up a bowl? :-) You're in my thoughts - get better soon!!

 
At 12:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

An edict from Mrs. Astor is like a call to arms...you report or are considered a deserter. Will have to bring some "Asopado de Pollo" for you to stay healthy. At least there is time to find an appropriate gift. (Or should that be an inappropriate one?). Hope you are feeling better.

The Count La Mot

 

Post a Comment

<< Home