"the" Mrs. Astor

Saturday, May 26, 2007



I somehow survived the "last grand parties" only to be informed that next Wednesday is the "last grand party". This is what happens when you don't have staff; the flow of information is hindered. Oh, well; it is Ray's "Turnabout" party and I love Ray more than I love getting into a dress, so I'll do it.


My last "Turn" put me as Martin Bormann's Bunker Babe. I do remember having a ball as the Russian tanks circled above.
When asked who I was "going" as this year, I responded: The Duchess of Alba, one of my most admired ladies. "Oh, The Duchess that Goya painted?" "No," I replied, "The current one, Maria del Rosario Cayetana Fitz-James Stuart Silva y Falco. The current duchess owns more titles than any other noble in Europe, is a Grandee of Spain twenty times, possesses two palaces, and is often seen in the pages of Hola magazine attending charity balls with one of her six children. Her home, The Palace of Liria, is remarkable for its art collection.
If I have to put on a dress, it is going to be a good one. I was pondering out loud yesterday at Ditmar's bar in Score about the possibility of actually performing a short piece and how I would need castanets when another person at the bar replied, "Oh, I sell them at my store (Tootsie's Nail Salon on Espanola Way and Washington)." Only on South Beach.

2 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just stick to your sequined shirts and you should be fine.

 
At 3:34 AM, Blogger The INFOSEC Consultant said...

I once had lunch in the same room (in Mallorca) as the current Duchess -- her father was still alive and clutching to the title like a life jacket. She had on a magnificent gold and emerald pendant -- something from the old days, as the 16th century. A lovely woman.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home