"the" Mrs. Astor

Wednesday, June 13, 2007



There is a relentless social energy that exists in this town. It doesn't matter if you are gay or straight; both worlds work well with each other. In fact, they compliment each other here.

It is often a magical place to live. I don't know why I keep thinking of moving back to Newport.

I ran into Mrs. Stuyvesant-Fish again this evening, visiting Ditmar on his "farewell" party at Score. She was with Mrs. Wilderming and her handsome consort. I quipped, "Mamie, I've seen you for twenty-nine out of the last twenty-eight nights I've been out. Don't you have a holding order or something to keep you in?" (She was sporting a very, very expensive piece of eye wear that I had not seen before and wondered whether they were for "presence" or actually allowed her to see something.)

She shot back, "I crawled across a minefield in a train to get here tonight." And, I replied, "I cut my way through barbed wire in satin slippers to attend this find evening." We both, understanding each other completely, looked each other in the eye and cackled.

2 Comments:

At 5:49 PM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

We are looking forward to Ditmar's arrival in New England. Many social functions and balls are planned in his honor.

The Northern Court is very excited!!

 
At 2:00 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

As well it should. I regret not being able to attend, but will be up shortly thereafter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home