"the" Mrs. Astor

Monday, August 06, 2007

Linda made another visit to The Palace yesterday. On Friday Mrs. Stuyvesant-Fish and I sought to escape the heat index of 105 at Twist when the door opened and this vision appeared. I immediately jumped up and welcomed her back; after momentary confusion she remembered our meeting at The Palace a year ago and some photographs. Linda is a self-described "T-Girl", or Tranny. Like the wonderful Monique, a Tranny is usually a straight man who simply likes to wear woman's clothing and, as Linda commented, "It's nice to come to South Beach where I can walk around all day and not feel unwelcome." We had a grand discussion of the T-World; Linda is married, with three children and said that his wife took a long time time to accept this aspect of his character.

Linda promised to come to The Palace on Sunday for the afternoon tea party and "entertain". When I arrived she was in the middle of a three hour go-go dance at the railing in the blistering heat. Most would have succumbed to that heat, but Linda kept on dancing; I loved watching the expressions on the faces of the people passing by: awe, confusion, admiration, amusement....all there.

The day was a late, but long one with Leopoldo and myself seeking refuge, at first, in Ditmar's well-chilled Hapsburg parlor and then to Scottie's movie night at Twist.

Later in the evening I simply threw myself on a divan and looked into the eyes of a thoughtful barmaid at Twist, asking for help in relieving the pressures of the day. "Bromide, please; and put gin in it." My girlfriends surrounded that evil social rival, Mrs. Stuyvesant-Fish (middle) as she attempted to take advantage of the toll the heat had taken on me. From left to right, Good Larry, Riley, Mrs. S-Fish , Andy, and my beloved Leo. (Until the end of my days, I will never know how the photographer managed to airbrush Mrs. S-Fish's ample form to actually look like she could fit in a dress that small.)

3 Comments:

At 7:52 PM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

Oh my! You make my life at the summer palace feel a little dull...but it is a lot cooler here in Transylchusetts.

 
At 12:34 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

It's hotter than Hell and Hell is jealous.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Showtune said...

awwwwwww, the days and nights of south beach. I MISS THE PALACE (and your royal highness!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home