"the" Mrs. Astor

Thursday, June 19, 2008

James Brown Is Dead...

...and so is Tim Russett. One day after he was buried and eleven after he died on the job, we awoke to yet another tribute on him on CNN. Surely he was a good man, and a brilliant journalist, and Sunday will never be the same...but he wasn't Abraham Lincoln. I doubt by the deep mourning MSNBC is exhibiting that it will ever be the same; will Keith Obermann even take off the black armband in one year, let alone move on to purple?

The truth is that I've been watching too much CNN and not enough Animal Planet. Floods, war, and economic collapse are affecting out lives to the point that mindless entertainment is sort in the evening. How else could I explain the watching of movies like Clueless and Night at the Roxbury; the most sophisticated movie we've watched has been Death at a Funeral. And--for us here in the Sunshine State--the fun is just beginning; hurricane season is here. We will attempt to steady our course and engage in meaningful discourse tonight: we are meeting Mrs. Stuyvesant-Fish for drinks, or as her inquiry this morning stated, "...libations this early evening." Sure we will, Netflix won't be sending another mindless movie until tomorrow.

2 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

I never watch News; it's too depressing....The only news worth hearing about is the Society News or the news that I create myself.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

How entirely selfless of you, Countess; control of the press is essential to the dessemination of the truth.

I can't take much more of the news or I will bury my head in the sand.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home