"the" Mrs. Astor

Wednesday, February 25, 2009


I am overwhelmed...not only do I have The Countess Bedelia on my hands, but I was surprised by the visit of Count von Mirsky. We throw around a lot of titles, but Gregory von Mirsky is a real one. When I first met him during those crazy days when I organized parties for Mark Fleishman's new version of Studio 54, I was a little skeptical of his name and ran a check on it. To my astonishment--my astonishment to this very day--I found that his great grandfather, Count von Mirsky, had trudged through the winter snows in March 1917 from St. Petersburg to Tsarskoye Selo to assure the tragic empress, Alexandra who was nursing her four daughters suffering from measles, that there were still members of society who thought for her. Alexandra was a pure nut case and most of her world had distanced themselves from her; she was, though, a mother of five children who was left alone in a world quickly collapsing around her. Count von Mirsky did something that assured her that she was not forgotten. I told my friend Gregory, that there was no reason he and his boyfriend should not stay with us during his visit; there is no snow to trudge through, but to have a von Mirsky by our side in times like this is...well, is warming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home