"the" Mrs. Astor

Sunday, November 08, 2009

Miami Beach's answer to every insomniac's dream, Sleepless Night, seemed to have gone off with no problems. The city was jammed with revelers and the clubs and restaurants stayed open until 7 AM this morning. I thought there might be a collective hangover today, but by 3 PM Lincoln Rd. was packed with more party monsters. It was a lovely day, in the low eighties, to bike around.
And, I had to go down and see KiKi again. Ramon and I had had a discussion about his condition two days ago about how KiKi was lost and distant much of the time, how he walked around all night keeping him awake. I pointed out that, working all day, he lets KiKi sleep and that it seemed to me that keeping him awake during the day might help. I also pointed out that I had a grandmother who lost her way; she would repeat things time after time and I was fine with answering time after time. Anyone who brought me so much happiness for so many years needed to be cut some slack. Neither one was/is in any pain, but that of confusion. So I'm taking KiKi to another vet in Coconut Grove on Wednesday to probably get the same answer we always do: His only impairment is being deaf, which probably adds to the confusion. Shortly after taking this photo I said my goodbye. Ramon and Lucy went up the stairs but, at the last moment, KiKi turned and walked to me and put his head on my leg. I looked at Ramon and he said, "I know; it's heart-breaking".

2 Comments:

At 12:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you at such a difficult time.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

We had the honor of your attendance at his 18 th birthday party last year; his 19 th is only a month away. I'm having a hard time thinking of what it will be like without him. That's the main reason I've sunk into this malaise, waved off political meetings, parties, etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home