"the" Mrs. Astor

Saturday, January 02, 2010

I knew the first emotional challenge of the new year would be KiKi's health and being, and I was right. It is now up to ME to decide what is best for the most loyal friend I've ever had. Is it best to put him down because he is lost and bewildered? Most of my friends would fit into that category. There is the quality of life issue; he lived a privileged life and now he can't walk much and has developed open sores common with old dogs. We are not sure he knows us anymore and is totally deaf with his eyesight failing. Our friend Gary asked me yesterday if we put down people who are deaf and blind or old people who walk in circles, further confusing me. He has reached the equivalent of 101 years, the old 7 to 1 principle being much too simplistic. I don't think I'd be happy at that age. When Kiki goes, so will a great part of me.

2 Comments:

At 11:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Taking everything into account, it seems like it's almost time to send Kiki on his way. Try not to compare this to "putting down people" as that is something very different and much more complicated. Kiki is now looking to his loyal friend to take care of him and his needs. You will know when the time is right.

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

My criteria for my beloved Mai-Ling was when she could no longer go out to do her business. I was carrying her out and lifting her up and doing everything I could to help her and she just looked at me like "This is enough."

But whatever or whenever you decide, it is the most difficult and heart rending thing you will ever do. Just know that you have good friends who understand.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home