"the" Mrs. Astor

Friday, January 08, 2010

There is no better truism than that Life Goes On; it always does. The loss still gnaws at me, but the great, collective response from my friends speaks volumns on how KiKi was adored by me. To all of you, I sincerely send my thanks. The ever-so-kind Countess Bedelia sent my a poem to comfort me. In another world, less melancholic than my present one, I would have found this hokey; but, it made me cry.

The Rainbow Bridge
inspired by a Norse legend
By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,

Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.

Where the friends of man and woman do run,

When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,

Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.

On this golden land, they wait and they play,

Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,

For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.

Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,

Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,

Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.

All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,

Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;

Together again, both person and pet.

So they run to each other, these friends from long past,

The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,

Has turned into joy once more in each heart.

They embrace with a love that will last forever,

And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.


Mrs. Stuyvesant-Fish accused me of having this picture Photo-Shopped. If there is no other reason than this to continue the fight against evil like that, then I will mount the horse again and charge.

3 Comments:

At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs. Astor:

The glow and radiance of love is all I continue to see in the photograph; it was, and always, shall be.

Here's to Kiki!

With all my sincerity, I do hurt for your loss.

Mamie

(perhaps Blueberry Popov helped you with the radiance?)

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Dear Mamie...KiKi never drank anything less thann Stoli.

 
At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs. Astor,
The photo says it all and more; thanks for sharing something so personal. Not to belabor the point, but perhaps it bears belaboring.....you were blessed to have Kiki in your life for many, many years. You loved each other dearly.....draw on your fond memories to help you get through the profound loss of your sweet friend. No one can ever remove those memories from your heart and mind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home