"the" Mrs. Astor

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Where Did It Go?

The week that is....

My little pal, Johnny, and I went to one of Chris's sumptuous lunches last Sunday and then later to The Palace. We were digesting the meal and thoroughly enjoying ourselves when a decided commotion on the beach drew our attention. Shouts, police sirens, and lifeguard whistles were disturbing what had been a calm afternoon when we saw the reason. Gliding across the ocean was an enormous waterspout (Miami's version of a tornado). It was an awesome sight that I had never witnessed; all you could do was admire the power of it all. It dissipated into the distance and celebrated our brush with death with more drinks.

On Monday there was a storm that stranded everyone where they were for three hours. After a certain amount of rain in a short amount of time, the water has no where to go and the pressure creates five-foot gushes from the storm drains. Fortunately, I was stranded at the bar and not at the supermarket.

Sometimes you enter a room and can smell a story; on Wednesday I walked into the north bar and eyed a couple with extremely pale skin. "Ah", I thought; "They are either from Minnesota or are vampires". I proceeded to sit next to them and, being a lady of social skills, engaged them in conversation. As it turned out, I was wrong on the first count, but damn close on the second. They were card-carrying WITCHES from Salem, Mass. down to celebrate the Summer Solstice. We had a devilish conversation as a full, orange moon rose over the horizon. Master WITCH, Shawn Porier, spoke of Salem's Ms. Firefly's School of Spirit Conjuring and her dear friend Auntie Rattlebones and showed me an ad saying, "...Auntie Rattlebone will even teach your child how to conjure up The Spirits with a Rattlebone." I love this life, I really do. Shawn talked about a group that specialized in Horror Burlesque and how they continually rattled the nerves of Salem's old, New England ladies. (Images of my grandmother wringing her hands at the sight of some of the bizarre students I brought home danced in my head.) We talked about Elizabeth Bathory, Hungary's Blood Countess, and how I hand-made a 15th Century gown to dress up as her four years ago. He directed me to the site of a friend of his at
www.bathoria.com. His sites of www.festivalofthedead.com and www.witchesofsalem.com rounded out my evening's surfing.

Yesterday, a strong wind off the ocean kept the thunderstorms over the mainland where they belong and South Beach was awash, absolutely awash in gorgeous bodies. Chris returned from Texas yesterday and Johnny has the weekend off, so we will stay awash ourselves. I am going swimming right now, heading down to The Palace with Chris and little Johnny and proceed to engaged in what would generally be best described as bad behavior.

7 Comments:

At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an interesting group! You meet "all kinds" at the palace, now don't you? I've always wanted to go to Salem. I hear its crawling with ghosts!

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Salem is creepy on a sunny, weekend afternoon. The tender mix of old New England dowagers and freaks drinking blood in the graveyards lends itself to this. It IS something to read the gravestones of the "witches"; that, I will never forget.

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

The horror burlesque, by the way, can be seen on www.blackcatburlesque.com. I like the posters.

 
At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How interesting that you met Shawn Poirier at your bar in Miami, of all places! I live in Danvers which was once Salem Village. This is where the witch hysteria first started. You might be interested in the Rebecca Nurse website: http://www.rebeccanurse.org/RNH/nursehomestead.htm

The Nurse Homestead is visible from my home and sometimes on a clear night when the breeze is rustling the leaves, you would swear she is walking in the graveyard.

We love our witches in this area and Shawn is one of the leaders of that community. You never know who will be reading your wonderful blog. I enjoy your stories very much. Hope that you will make it to this area for a visit; especially for the Witches Ball at Halloween.

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Ian Gutierrez said...

ohhhh now i understand...
the day i saw you dancing naked under the rain was a witchcraft ritual!!!!!!!!! eh..umm...wasn´t it?

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

How sweet, Anon. I was raised in Rhode Island and love the spooky parts of New England history. Lovecraft, of course, was a saint in Rhode Island. Thanks.

Ian, you dirty boy, I was just drunk.

 
At 2:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings all,
Myself and another Salem Witch are proud to say we actually had the Honor of meeting Mrs. Astor for an evening of decadent drinks and wicked conversation. It was a pure pleasure! Like a wicked autumn carnival. ( or should I say carnival of souls) the conversation hit with tilt a whirl camaraderie. With speed our conversation spun from the polite "first meet" chat which roller coasted into dizzying chatter, spiced up with words like, spell casting, Necromancy, "I would like a tequila shot with that," drag, nudity, and "Don't worry the bleeding with stop soon." Of course meeting Mrs. Astor was definitely the big E ticket experience!
All in all meeting Alexis was the high light of the evening. ( However the humpy beefy dancers in another local night spot did prove to be stiff competition! Be that as it may, beauty won out over brute brawn. One of my witches and myself took the spent evenings "fun tally." The judgment ....
One can see hunky dancers anywhere, but there is only ONE Mrs. Astor and she is in Miami. Thanks Mrs. Astor for making myself and the Salem Witches feel so very welcomed in Miami! Bette Midler has nothing on you!


I hope to see you and your court in Salem for the Official Salem Witches Halloween Ball held this year at the Historic Hawthorne Hotel.
Blessing to you all.
I have to go for now, as the winged monkeys need to be fed.
Shawn Poirier High Priest of the Salem Witches and new friend of the fabulous Mrs. Astor!
For all the Halloween fun in Salem check out...
www.witchesofsalem.com
www.festivalofthedead.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home