"the" Mrs. Astor

Sunday, June 25, 2006


I was invited Thursday by David, the manager of Hotel Victor's new coffee and gift shop, Viaggi, to stroll over under the last blue skies we have seen since and experience the new place.

Upon entering I thought I saw The Countess (in a well-placed table) wave her lace napkin at me. The shop was so elegant and well-styled that I felt I was once again sitting down to tea on the Ringstrasse. Fanciful pastries and the aromas of exotic coffees toyed with the senses as one had to decide whether to sit and nibble or stroll amongst the gift items. Although there were many, many expensive items, the order of the day was fun and most everything brought a smile. I was about to order a cream fantasy dessert complete with a sugar figure of Franz Josef when a button on my tightly-laced bodice popped with the most horrendous sound and took out a champagne glass on the shelf. I ignored the inccident, as all should, and took only tea.

2 Comments:

At 4:48 AM, Blogger The INFOSEC Consultant said...

Mrs. A's bodice buttons are registered as deadly weapons. Isn't that how you dealt with that Bolshevik agent in Prague who was stirring up the peasants?

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

Ahhhhh...I wish it was me at the Hotel Victor, that decadent and sophisticated hotel. Alas, I am still in the country with the peasants. They are behaving rather well, though. I might let them eat cake!!

I went to Jacob's Pillow yesterday, a fantastic theater of dance out in the middle of nowhere. All the dancers in this troupe from the Companie Nacionale de Espana were between the ages of 17 and 21. If you were there, Mrs. A, I would have had to wipe the drool from your chin with my lace hanky.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home