"the" Mrs. Astor

Saturday, September 23, 2006



For those in town who have labeled me the Cassandra of South Beach for worrying about a severe downturn in business, I invite you to the death bed of an old friend, The 11th Street Diner. I visited my sick friend this morning for perhaps the next to last breakfast and found its employees preparing for the end; a notice had been posted of The Diner's impending demise on Monday. They walked around with worried looks, nervously moving sugar containers and other condiments around as if this activity might breathe some life into the patient.

Situated in the heart of the entertainment district, across from police headquarters, and sharing a wall with the equally venerable Twist, the 24-hour Diner was always the epicenter of activity and gossip. You would walk in at 7am on a Sunday and see the chief of police with his officers at one table, a bevy of drag queens at the next, and a family from Iowa beside them. Come back later and you would often see Rosie O'Donnell (so often that a salad was eventually created just for her, Kelly, and the kids).

Obvious indications of trouble had been mounting and, when the payrolls were missed recently, I could almost assure that my mourning gown would be coming out. It's a sad and mystifying passing; few places were as crowded and popular as The Diner, and--at the risk of not being believed still--I would think more trouble is on the way. Call me Cassandra.

8 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Blogger Jesse said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :(

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

This is truly disturbing news. I just can't believe that the diner is going out of business.

Half the Palace is boarded up, the diner shut down...what is next?

Mr. Brian is going to cry!

 
At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're all shedding a tear, too, for the long-loyal employees who were robbed of four weeks pay and their dignaty. What happened there is criminal and not just in an abstract sense.

 
At 4:02 AM, Blogger Officer Brian said...

Ok, it hasn't hit me yet. What the HELL is going on in South Beach? Is there a general decline in business? If not, why is it happening to two of the three businesses I pour all my money into when I'm down there! I even have 11th street Diner mugs in my kitchen...Alexis, what is happening?

 
At 6:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe it!! My first job in miami (thanks Alexis)....everyone I knew was from working at the diner....unbelievable.....i'm left speechless.

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger The INFOSEC Consultant said...

Obviously there are many, many issues unknown to all but the owners. Rumors of money games have circulated since they opened. Still it is SO sad, on a par with the Palace. Hopefully, for the employees it will be a fast close/re-open.

My paranoid fear is that this is just the beginning impact of rising insurance rates, taxes, and interest rates.... (let's HOPE not)

 
At 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where oh where are the MBPD gonna have coffee now? I guess as the towers go up - the old gets torn down. Sad to see a landmark go... I spent alot fo time in that diner.

I guess developers are going to raze the island of all Old Business!!

But that happens every few decades. Time for the Beach to evolve. AS I know the gay bars are all disappearing and moving north to FTL.

That deathknell started years ago when salvation and then Crobar closed. South Beach is due for another reincarnation.

keep us posted on further beach closings...

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

They have re-organized already, probably with a shorter nuber of shifts open. Many places are in rough shape this year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home