"the" Mrs. Astor

Thursday, January 18, 2007



Maybe I'm out of my mid-week crisis. It always starts on a Monday afternoon just when the drugs, booze, and hype is wearing off.

I attempted to bake a pork roast on Monday, but fell asleep for five hours and the result was something that resembled a bowling ball with the feel of a coconut. So, I went to the local deli and purchased a big tray of pulled pork and another one of rice with a red, bean gravy topping (KiKi loves that). I brought them over and KiKi did the usual "dance", something I always called the Dog Tango, where he circles me in a motion of side steps. Only Leopold--who lived with me for some time and got to know KiKi like few do--would know this. The two other dogs were happy too; entering with two trays of food is a "good thing".

I entered the kitchen and everything seemed quite spotless as normal and, in the way some people check medicine cabinets, I looked in the freezer. I was shocked to see only two ice cube trays; a further look to the the fridge revealed something that could only have looked like an Albanian refridgerator in the 70's: a small pan of about half a cup of dried rice and half an avocado. This shocked me, because although I knew he had been out of work for a week because of the bloodclot and pending surgery, I never, ever expected not to be informed about a lack of food. A call later in the day confirmed that he was ashamed to admit his situation so I did what any organizational-obsessed, control freak would do and conducted the largest "airlift" of food since the Berlin Crisis, thanks to Publix.

I LOVE shopping for food and when the van arrived with it I was happy to say, "Put everything in the freezer" and drove off to The Palace where I had to deal with another dog situation, The Dachshund Winterfest. I will be manning the table serving martinis (only to dogs) with my new friend of city-inspired madness, Elliott Thompson. I don't know: I spent the first few days wondering why I fixate on Latino belly shots, puppet-headed drag queens, and the rest of my friends living a dissolute life while apparently some people go hungry. I think I'm over it.....for a few days.

6 Comments:

At 2:56 AM, Blogger The INFOSEC Consultant said...

Priorities, priorities. Hungry people, birth defects, disease, old age and poverty, old age and infirmity, pestilence, bad luck, etc, etc. Balance is the key. Charity activity is part of the balance. The idle rich tend to know this genetically -- others have to learn (I learned).

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Phew! It DID make me feel very good afterwards.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Jesse said...

Aweeeee!!! A Doggie event!! I love "The Gays and Their Dogs!" Why aren't there any social/charity events for gays with cats?!? If I ever hope to find a husband, I think I need a dog!! :-)

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

No, find a husband who has a cat.

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger The INFOSEC Consultant said...

No, find a husband...

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger LARMOT said...

Will there be a special appearance of Baby Jane serving doggie martinis?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home