"the" Mrs. Astor

Sunday, May 25, 2008

A Work of Art


That's what everyone calls Mr. Astor, and I couldn't agree more. Sweet, sexy, amusing, and more, Leopoldo has brightened the lives of many since bursting on the beach scene. He also is not shy and approved this little snapshot I took during a recent nap. I can't express how much love there is for him, but others can. Like that old octopus, Mrs. Stuyvesant-Fish! She couldn't keep her tentacles off of him Friday night, finding every excuse under the Florida sun to rub up against Leopoldo; I swear to get a restraining order if she doesn't leave him alone. You'd think that all her charity work in the reading rooms would wear out that social tsunami.
Memorial Day Weekend is not the nightmare it used to be, but a decent person can't walk on the ocean side of the island after dusk. So far, the only shootings have been of two young men right in front of police headquarters, which is just about the safest place to commit a crime in this town. Since most of the police are on Lincoln Rd. having coffee at David's, there is usually just one, sleepy officer behind the information desk at headquarters.
Jeremy returned from his three week assignment in Chile, reporting that Santiago is not the hot spot Bogota is. Soon he's going to Paraguay and Uruguay and will update us on what's going on there. The Baroness Seitzinger is in Denver and must be as bored as I am this weekend as she keeps sending me snapshots of tree-lined roads and scenic alleys. (As if she isn't aware of my total dread of nature.) Mark 1 is in Trannsychusetts most likely getting liquored up with those two society booze-hounds, Countesses Bedelia and du Barry (who, contrary to reports of her demise, is still knocking them back.) I'm just bored and caught in the middle of a weekend in which the town has been taken over by Visigoths, waiting for my baby to come home. Leopoldo has three days off and we will start a rampage of our own to reclaim this town beginning tomorrow.
Look out.

6 Comments:

At 11:08 PM, Blogger Tom said...

Oh my! It's all I can do to cover my eyes and peek through my fingers!

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger nickwallacesmith said...

hey the REAL mrs astor. must say i love ya site, and 'i will return', take care. nick

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Caroline Webster Schermerhorn Astor would be appalled by my tawdry existance. I so wish I could find meaning and substance; but I can't, so there.

 
At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you.........and why would anyone cover their eyes when blessed with such a lovely sight?

I have a dread of nature as well. I saw a tree once and I dangled my toes in the ocean once. That was enough.

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Quite right, Tosca. There is a vast difference between the natural and "nature". As Gilda Radna once said, "I view nature as that green spot between my cab and the doorman".

 
At 12:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well! It is lovely - but could stand some sequins.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home