"the" Mrs. Astor

Monday, October 13, 2008

There's nothing like a bump to get you going again; of course, I mean a bump in the market. As much as it may be on weak and shifting sand, it brings a sparkle to the mind. So, why--oh why--, do modern vessels of merchant shipping lanes manage to get hijacked by Somalian "pirates"? This vexes me to no end. In this particular case, a Ukrainian vessel carrying tanks (of all things) has been captured by Somalian pirates, demanding a 20 million dollar ransom. U.S. warships have surrounded the captive to make sure the cargo doesn't fall into the hands of Somalian insurgents (i.e., We will sink the ship before you hijack it), and six other nations--including Russia--are dispatching warships to the area. So (and this is what vexes me): JUST how does a modern dugout of nearly indigenous pirates in a light craft sporting the modern version of the bone-in-the-nose threat ( The AK-47) capture a ship carrying heavy armor? Whatever happened to the mounted 55mm machine gun on the bow?
Maybe all this is not for me to waste my time on; indeed, my my whole life has been about having fun, being silly, and lost in the past. With that statement introduced to the Court of Opinion, I submit this: Article "Y" in the case of "Fun vs. Reality".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home