"the" Mrs. Astor

Sunday, July 17, 2005

It's an Oleg Type of Day


How shallow can you get when you awake thinking of Oleg Cassini? I was shopping at a kookie store here on Friday, Beatnix, when I spotted a rather nice shirt. It was sort of what I do best in: conservative funkie. Like every queen, I immediately looked at the label. This is when I nearly DIED; the label read Oleg Cassini. My mother was an Oleg freak when I was child and one of the most beautiful shirts I ever owned was a gray Mondrian Oleg Cassini she bought me. My mother was one of those pre-woman's liberationists who defied every part of Rhode Island convention. I always wondered what "Fredericks of Hollywood" meant when I would put on her white, spiked heels. My grandmother abhorred her and my mother just did anything she could to push my grandmother to the grave just a little faster.

This is a picture of my ex. We are friends again, and for that and the three dogs I am happy. We were going to one of Richard Trainor's "Turn About" parties where boys dress as girls and girls dress as boys. My ex had gone out that day looking for a sweet dress and came home with this sequinned number; it needed a little tacking in the back, and when I looked at the label I nearly DIED. The label read Oleg Cassini. I asked him if he knew what he had found for ten dollars and he had no clue. I told him that Oleg had been the personal designer to Jackie Kennedy and her sister Lee Radziwill; I also told him that I would take control of this dress after the party. I still have this dress in one of my closets; I like to take it out every now and then and look at it and think about the history of the woman who first purchased it. It is the perfect size of my mother and another friend, Carmina Marcial has my mom's white, Frederick's shoes.

6 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear!, must you tell everyone he only paid 10 dollars for that wonderful dress? It just seems so common, please omit that sentence Mrs. Astor and keep up your appearances. Enjoy your Sunday morning dear....

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Hyacinth, I'll see you at tea after the polo match. Don't worry about what I write about the "ex"; if she shopped like she lived, that was her business.

 
At 1:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

IMMACULATE. I LOVE HER, AND HER DRESS TO. It reminds me of the time she broke the heal of her shoes (I believe it was holloween or something) and she put it in her shoe and continued on like nothing ever happened. Some of the best times of my life included the two of you. I LOVE YOU BOTH.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

OMG, Jacob; that night comes back so clear. I was wearing a Mother of the Bride dress that I borrowed from Greg the day manager at Twist and I was looking so Peggy Lee with that walker. Ramon was in some hoochie mama "I'm your day care worker" outfit and he DID break his heel on those thigh-high boots. I remember comments later about me, the walker, and the nurse with the boken heel being such a sight on Lincoln Road. You were a part of our lives in a period of supreme craziness.

 
At 11:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the night raymond lost her shoes and her wig, and you lost the walker, apparently you threw it into a bush or something, and who knows what happened to me.

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

I know; I was so drunk that I couldn't figure out how to fold the walker as I was getting into a cab. It was found the next day in the bushes outside The Diner. I really should have been locked up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home