"the" Mrs. Astor

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Power!

There's nothing like it! Without it you can't do very much; no ATM, no phone, no lights (and, remember, I once before noted that candlelight's romanticism dwindles after a couple of hours.)no news at all (who knew that battery-powered radios would become the rage?).

On Saturday I was chided for my preparations, but I had a very uneasy feeling about this storm, the first time ever. On Wednesday--as noted--I went grocery shopping and spent the rest of the day washing and ironing all my clothes. On Thursday, I went to the bank and took out $3000. not because I needed that much, but because I knew I would become a minor (very minor) lending institution to those many, many friends who never plan for things like this.
On Friday, I got my hair done. If I was going to descend into the pit of darkness, I was going with an hors' dourve, money in my purse, and sporting a French Twist. Sunday was Sunday, but Monday was the most frightening day of my life. I thought the whole world was going to blow away. In fact, three tornados formed on South Beach at First and Fifth streets.

Brian knowingly laughed when I told him this yesterday; we New Englanders know our shit.

6 Comments:

At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear that you have prevailed and with a kicky hairstyle to boot. God bless electricity!

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Officer Brian said...

I was very proud to see how you handled Wilma. What a great phone conversation we had...and thank God you were near Ditmar when I called. You sounded great...and happy! Which in turn, makes us ALL HAPPY! So what kind of tricks or treats will the peasants be getting on this Halloween? Shall I ship you a police uniform to keep the latino's in order?

:)

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

I am so happy that you took my advice about the hoop skirt. You would have been blown away....and not in the good way..LOL!

Welcome back, Mrs. A.

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

The peasants will be getting machine gun bullets for Halloween. That's the only thing they understand. I hate them, and I came out of this with a whole new understanding of how they have to be kept under foot.

 
At 9:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Sporting a French twist."

Isn't that kindof a contridiction of terms.

Don't you "sport" sweatsuits and puma shoes? or a baketball jersey, shorts and a pic in your fro?

I didn't know such refined ladies like yourself "sported."

HA HA HA.
Glad you're alive. :)

 
At 5:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phew, another near disaster averted! Delighted to hear you and the French twist are OK.

x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home