"the" Mrs. Astor

Friday, October 21, 2005

WILMA, I'm Home


The outer bands reached Miami this morning; the reach and power of this storm makes us gasp. I feel for the residents of Cozumel upon which I lived for six months, and I know how little protection that beautiful island had. My, I hope all those people, especially my neighbor Beatrice, got out.

The City of Miami Beach just sent TWO Code Enforcement members with a notice and the overpaid, overweight employee basically told me that The City was advising us that they would be advising us. Why can't I get a job with The City and stop living this madcap life; I'd be great at advising people that I'm going to advise later in the weekend. I'd even notify them that I'm going to notify them.

The Countess Bedelia advised against wearing a hoop skirt in this wind; I'm thinking more along the lines of a sleek Ester Williams Catalina swim suit, lime in color with a mango-hued swim cap. There would also be the floor length lilac terry robe. Two nights ago, one of our waiters suggested that a giant dinosaur might break out of the gulf waters and EAT Wilma.
That was logical enough for me to have hope, too.

6 Comments:

At 8:10 PM, Blogger the Witch said...

Ah Cozumel...

As a sick child, I'd spent many a day confined to a hospital bed. Release day, my parents whisked me away to the El Presidente on Cozumel, IV needles freshly plucked from my veins.

Color returned my pale flesh, I gained weight, felt whole again.

We repeated this recovery pilgrimage thrice before my sixteenth birthday.

Cozumel, beautiful Cozumel and her loving people mean so very much to me.

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Although Cozumel was not really the point of great social thinking, yes--withch--you are right. Everyone, from the divemaster to the man who plucked weeds from my grass was so kind and gentle. You could wander around that tiny piece of paradise and always get and give a gesture of goodwill. I caroused with everyone on that island and NEVER ran into anyone with a hint of malice in their soul. I always believed it was the Mayan influence. How sad; I know everything is lost.

 
At 2:17 AM, Blogger Officer Brian said...

My memories of Cozumel....CARLOS AND CHARLIES!!!! Then being carried back onto the cruise ship. On my second visit, I explored the island a little more and wanted to buy a place down there. It's beautiful! Quintana Roo Cozumel...I hope to make it back there. How funny Mrs. Astor, we seem to have the same tastes in paradise. (and Van Gogh Vodka).

 
At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would think Pfiffer's cat woman outfit would actually be more streamlined. Plus if you have to scale a palm for your purse you'd be good to go. Fat county employees are just the type of floatation device you're sure to need. I would use those sable covered hand cuffs to some proper use this time and cuff him to the front door of the biz for easy access if the water gets high.
k

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

Compliments on your choice of a Hurricane outfit. Much better for tree hugging than a hoop skirt.

Compliments to KnottyBoy for the Fat.Employee.Flotation.Device idea. *iz genius*

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Glitzy said...

Wise of Bedelia to advise against a hoop skirt lest you get transported away!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home