"the" Mrs. Astor

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Gammera is Coming!


Everyone was depressed last night about Gamma; the TV was blasting a projected path right toward us again and several regulars had just had their power back last week. My neighbor across the street still has a blue taupe on her damaged roof, my neighbor to the north just had his A/C replaced on the roof, my neighbor to the south's pool is still a wreck, and the wall between me and the neighbor to the west is still a pile of rubble.

That Pimpernel returned from Switzerland and spent a good eleven hours drinking with Ditmar; he brought me five Belgian and French cheese wedges that made my office smell like the privates of a French hustler. My office was the most popular spot to be yesterday.

Mattie made us wince when he described how he was teaching a group of high schoolers this weekend the lyrics and dance moves to "Mame".

And Jeremy made me sad when he told me he was being deployed to the American embassy of a South American country for four months. Who will protect The Countess? I hate to admit it; except for Andy (who suspiciously sang showtunes all the way up to Ft. Lauderdale when we went to see Evita), The 7th is not the band of "Ferocious Tops" as once described by a customer. Yes, the only thing separating me from The Mob in a legion of bottoms once Jeremy is gone. What did make me laugh was when I noted that Jeremy--at his tender age--had served in so many conflicts and campaigns. Kuwait, Iraq, Bosnia (as a special attache' to Nato General and European Duke Berulft), and Germany were all in his background, so I asked (after he had four or five cosmos), "Jeremy, do you get one of those chest badges for every action or campaign you are involved in?" He widened those outrageously beautiful, blue eyes and replied, "Yes, when I'm full uniform I look like a Panamanian general!"

I love my captain; I'm not even going to bother replacing him as I will just leave the position vacant until he returns. As everyone here will attest, there can be no replacement for a fine man like Jeremy. (I will, of course, be a sort of Catherine The Great and interview the talents of many noble wannabes. We must be realistic.)

6 Comments:

At 9:02 AM, Blogger Ian Gutierrez said...

So... "auditions" start on January?

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

The day you arrive.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

Dear Mrs. Astor, I just don't know how you all have been able to handle all these hurricanes. Your New England upbringing must be coming in handy.

And now to lose your Captain!! The peasants will revolt as soon as they know he is gone. I fear for your safety!! Maybe you could train that Thomas person to be a attack dog/bodyguard. Or Mr. Brian could relocate to provide personal security.

Keep us posted and I wish Captain Jeremy a safe tour of duty.

The Countess

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Jeremy, my carriage awaits to take me back to the Palace.

Countess B., please keep my precarious position a secret from the peasants. My New England background is only so good as to best them in Jeopady, not them climbing over the gates with knives in their mouths.

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger Jesse said...

*Sigh* More Hurricanes? This is not good news, Uncle Alexis!!! Tell whatever Greek Letter is threatening you this time to go away! (If only it were that simple, right?) I hope it finds you safe and the hurricane just turns out to totally be like a lame date, to tire out early and go home with someone else. :-)

As far as Jeremy being deployed for 4 months - wow that is a long time! At least it's not Iraq, right? Keep his spot vacant b/c we *know* that no one can replace it!

Don't fear for your life, though! While not "ferocious tops", I'm sure the "legion of bottoms" will be able to use their boyish charms to protect against The Mob, or at least just get pummelled by them and hold them at bay a little longer ;)

Love Always,
~Jesse :-)

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

THERE YOU GO, Jesse: They will use their "boyish" charms to protect me. Why didn't I think of that?

That's why I need you here: The Voice of Reason.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home