"the" Mrs. Astor

Friday, January 19, 2007


The coming weekend has all the markings of getting out of control; and--for a controller--that is a Bad Thing.

First, the Dachshund Winterfest is expecting 300 to 400 dogs and their owners. This is the most adorable of the kooky things that go on here on South Beach, but the hype has reached seismic levels. There will be doggie fortune telling, massages, speed dating, and much more. The annual singing of the Dach Song will be once again sung by all like some Hitler Youth rally as the dogs parade behind a German accordionist. Only two business have been allowed to participate. Dogma, a gourmet hotdog restaurant will host the first-ever mini-hotdog eating contest for the dachshunds and right next to them with be The Palace serving "Weenie Martinis" to the little spoiled monsters.

All this sounds great, except my arch enemy, the doer of all things written badly, The Miami Herald, trumpeted the event with a long article which thrilled its third grade level readers with this: "Also on tap: Dogma Grill will oversee the Hot Dog Hot Dog Eating Contest, and drag queens from the Palace Bar & Grill will serve water at the Weenie Martini Station." That trashy, Castro-obsessed paper is out to get me. From the moment I started working with the organizers I never mentioned donning any of the stunning sequin gowns I own to serve "martinis" to the dogs. Now I feel people will come up to the table and be tragically disappointed and perhaps make some snide comment (much like all my friends have who forwarded the article to me).

Then there's the Latino Night on Sunday; this is already generating enough sparks to light a city in Iowa. But there's time to plan a strategy on crowd control there; first I have to survive, reputation intact, the dachshund nightmare. Presumably, The Herald hasn't been tipped off on my outfit for Sunday night.

8 Comments:

At 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK ... we do a Dachshund fest here in the spring and fall but really, Alexis! Weenie Martinis? Friends Don't Let Friends Hump Drunk. Wait ...

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Tom, the whole thing is based upon what goes on up there, just extended the way things are here.

And, I can personally assure you that I will drive any drunk dachshund home myself.

 
At 1:40 AM, Blogger Ian Gutierrez said...

well, you can wear your (in)famous sequined shirt...
I know that doesn´t make you a drag, but if you ad the Baby Jane wig...

accessories, it´s all about them!


NOTE: I sent my troups to control your behavior, and that means NO TAKING DRUNK WEENIES HOME! (unless you take pictures!)

The Wife.

 
At 3:22 AM, Blogger The INFOSEC Consultant said...

I can honestly say this is something that I do not care about. I agree the whole idea is wonderfully camp, however, when the French burned the bi-plane after that tragic navigation error, I would not have one of those flea magnets.... Therefore, I leave it to those who do care.... have fun!!

 
At 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why oh why am I up here with the wind howling and the windows shaking when I could be down there surrounded by all sorts of weiners?????

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

Just put on a dress and stop whining about it....you KNOW you want to!!!

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger The INFOSEC Consultant said...

The Countess is all wise.

 
At 12:37 PM, Blogger Showtune said...

I MISSED ANOTHER LATIN FEST?!?! UGH!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home