"the" Mrs. Astor

Monday, January 26, 2009

Carl Zablotny sold his magazine, The Wire, last week in a planned move that took almost two years to complete. He sold it to a friend of Thomas Barker's (who will take over the executive editor position); no immediate change in format is at hand, but it will come.

I met Carl shortly after he purchased the paper ten years ago; I drummed up some advertising revenue and we quickly determined that we would be close friends. Our meeting spot, The 11th Street Diner, was the epicenter of gossip and action then. The Diner is across the street from police headquarters and was the gathering spot every day of gays, drags, police, and politicians (the Diner's lawyer was the mayor--such a small town). Carl and I hatched plots, planned photos, and helped work on the race of the previous mayor, David Dermer. We also plotted the demise of commissioners we regarded as dangerous. I spent my finest hours plotting with Carl.

For two years he has planned what he has just about completed: his move from South Beach to Puerto Vallarta. He purchased a dance club there and is about to realize that dream of club owner (God help him). In the meantime, The Wire was sold to a friend of of Thomas Barker's and Thomas now will assume the duty of putting that paper out.

It's been a wondrous time here with Carl; like all of us, he's had his moments of craziness, but that is what runs this town. I'll miss him and his lecturing ideas on everything that a handful of drinks brings out in an intelligent person. Leopoldo, myself, and Carl had a farewell brunch at our favorite Lincoln Road bistro, da Leo; three omelets and five bottles of champagne later made us happy to have been as close as we have been for the last decade.

Like many politicians whom have dined on rubber chicken during public events, Carl never hesitated to enjoy a free meal--even if had a tail.




I was able to get two, local celebrity party boys to submit themselves to Carl's lusty desires on his birthday. It was the least I could do.



Sometimes, Carl had to be put in his place by an internationally recognized artist.
And, there were some times where he had to "squeeze" into a photo.

Even through the craziness of the past year, you are always "top drawer" with me, Carl.

7 Comments:

At 1:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Dear Mrs Astor
Do you remember our little column we had in the Wire.....Those were the good old days of South Beach. I really miss those days they were filled with Magic.....

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

My, my; I had forgotten about our joint horoscope/social column, a tender mix of astrology, gossip, and alcohol. That was two worlds ago.

 
At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the name of your friends' new club in PV? All of us in Seattle go down there all the time, so would love to help support him! After all this time of "knowing" you thru reading your blog, any friend of yours must truly be worth knowing!

cheers ~

tony in seattle

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

I will do follow-up for you. Thanks for being a friend.

 
At 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW- The Wire was actually sold to me (Thomas) and my good friend Rafa. We are partners! It's a very exciting time for the both of us as we work hard to fill Carl's enormous shoes. We both wish him the best and know that he will have a blast with his new endeavor.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

So noted, and your loyal friends wish you all the luck we can. You go, girl!

 
At 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have any copies of your old Wire column, my dear Mrs. Astor, that you might post for us more recent transplants? I really enjoy your writing to begin with, and I would love to hear how you and the Countess du Barry described those crazy times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home