"the" Mrs. Astor

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

How Stupid Can You Be?

I just had a long lunch on our patio with Carl, publisher of the Wire. The sky was strikingly blue and the passing storm had pulled all the moisture out of the air so that a dry breeze drifted off the Atlantic playing every now and then with my wide-brimmed luncheon hat with the silk roses.

Carl had just been to court with a friend of ours who had be roughed up on the beach by two thugs in a show, it seems, to impress their girlfriends. They chased the boy down the beach yelling the usual "fag" (funny in a town of fags) and gave him a few cuts and bruises. The boy called the police immediately and they responded within minutes, walked down to the blanket the thugs were on with their girls, (God forbid, they move to another spot) identified them, and hauled them off. The Police Dept. of Chief de Luca has a Zero Tolerance attitude for hate crimes.

This is what astounded me today: In preparation for the October trial which can put this thug away for decades the thug pleaded "Not Guilty". There was a lot of blah, blah after that Carl said as we consumed I Roveri pinot grigio and egg salad sandwiches (very white lady, I know). Then the judge asked the thug, "Is there anything you would like to say to The Court?" Obviously, his public attorney was not the sharpest pencil in the box, because before he could be stopped the thug turned the the fag and said, "I just want to say I'm sorry for beating you up so much."

Carl and I howled with laughter and ordered another bottle.

7 Comments:

At 3:46 PM, Blogger AvR said...

One would think after an admission such as that, he might as well plead "no contest". But still, the thought of that actually happening, actually being attacked, is horrifying to me.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Glitzy said...

Woo hoo hooo hoo....that's just rich. What's that segment of off beat news in the Miami New Times? News of the Weird I think...I can just see this story under the Least Competent Criminal heading

 
At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of the thug and his court appointed mouthpiece: Thug? Yup. Intelligent Design? Nope. Evolution? We're in the midst of it :-)

 
At 10:46 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

All I can think of is Edina Monsoon's question, "Why, oh why, don't they just tax the stupid people?"

 
At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly, Karl Rove realized early on that the Red States would be taxed so heavily as to become the underclass......

 
At 1:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How was the I Roveri pinot grigio?

Love the first paragraph. "...a dry breeze drifted off the Atlantic playing every now and then with my wide-brimmed luncheon hat with the silk roses." I bet they match your eyes!

Nice job with the site design. I've haven't been here in awhile.

I've just posted some of ms bees knees comments in my Great Comments List. You're quoted. Come have a looksee. (and please submit your blogs great comments if you wish)

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Wayne Cronin said...

Ha! It's funny because it's true.
Hope the victim got some comfort out of the dickhead's stupidity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home