"the" Mrs. Astor

Friday, June 02, 2006



Everyone seems to be concerned about my stress level, and I thank them for that. It comes with the territory, although a major readjustment is in order.

Be that as it may, stress brings out peculiar dreams in me. Last night's was particularly weird.

I was on a small, wooded hill overlooking my childhood home, a position I often enjoyed, and an invasion of aliens was taking place. I never really saw them; I kept my back to them all the time looking at the house and the woods in front of me. Things were not good, though, and many people around me were being vaporized. TV monitors were being played of devastation around the world when Grace Jones popped up on the screen with a white flag surrendering a smoldering Paris (I was so glad she got the part).

Somehow I had the wherewithal to turn (still not seeing who was threatening me) and walk in an 18th Century, French court dress of yellow and gold (not unlike this photo I took of Olympia 12 years ago at The Roxy's Bastille Day party) toward a staircase. There, I demonstrated to the aliens how to walk up and down a circular staircase with matching, embroidered heeled slippers. This, somehow, was of value to the aliens because they spared me long enough to find the staircase out. Walking down, I awoke.

All this and no pills or alcohol. Bees will have a field day with this.

7 Comments:

At 7:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Decadence, delicious decadence!! I love it. You are a true blue blood and know this for certain. Grace Jones, she was all that but you know what you're all that and a box of Godiva and don't ever forget it darling!

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Black and Tan Mark said...

Amazing that we've known each other all this time and haven't discussed Grace Jones. We'll do that tomorrow over Ben & Jerry's.
:-)
B&T

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

Grace who? You have been away from Newport tooooooo long, darling.

Anyone who can trip down the stairs of The Breakers in embroidered heeled slippers deserves the respect of aliens everywhere. Of course, I might just stick out a stiletto and trip your little ass, but that's just my fantasmical dream, isn't it?

xxxooo

 
At 11:09 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Babs, only Grace could surrender Paris.

Mark, I just left you; tomorrow, Grace.

Countess, it's not a "little" ass, but I love you still.

 
At 4:56 AM, Blogger The INFOSEC Consultant said...

Jewelled, heeled slippers. Isn't that just a little Baroque, even for you? Was the circular stair freestanding or part of a larger structure. I like the surrealism of the freestanding thought. A true stairway to heaven...

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Rick Bettencourt said...

Perhaps this wasn't a dream at all but an alien abduction. : )

Love the dress, btw.

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

mrs.astor, rick bettencourt may be on to something. Those nasty lil' buggers are getting into ducks, who knows the possibilities, ooh???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home