"the" Mrs. Astor

Friday, May 04, 2007



I swear Disco de Mayo will be the last event I plan, organize, or attach myself to in any way. There must be a quieter life out there; perhaps I could paint charming scenes in the Everglades while they are still there. This endless drought has dropped water tables so low that you'd have to be mad to drink it unfiltered (or cunning to hand a tall, refreshing glass to that right person).

I'm looking for a simple life away from images I can't tear myself away from: of Adora singing an aria from second story balcony on Espanola Way, drag flamenco down the street, watching sleazy 1950's S & M movies (straight ones!) though a peep hole, and lunching with a batty, sweet lady who would make the perfect mayor for such a batty town.

This time tomorrow I'll be hanging disco balls and pinatas, checking up on the caterers, and making sure no one gets a shot without me being included.

Painting sunsets in Key West sounds good, too.

12 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, Blogger Tom said...

I'm assuming our retirement villa will have Latin houseboys.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

I've been taking application for months (many months).

 
At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh darling "the", you mustn't spend the rest of your days painting the sun going down when you could be photographing so many other things going down.

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Ray said...

What? You're still in Miami? I expect you in London early tomorrow morning to help me hang pinatas and pat out tortillas. Or at least send one of your tall, handsome, and muscular equerries ...

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

New England beckons......

 
At 1:56 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Mikevil, you bring a tear to my eye thinking of the Lady Bunny's trademark song, "Don't Let Your Son Go Down on Me".

 
At 2:07 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Ray, since The Queen is here anyway, I can leave. And, aren't you tired of tall, muscular equerries? Don't you want a tiny one with a bubble butt for once?

 
At 2:08 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Countess, yes either New England is getting me back or I will finish out my days in Key West.

 
At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And when did you learn to paint?! I don't think you make as much in the Keys when you paint by number :)

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger John Q. Aggravated said...

That sounds like the most awesome event ever.

v_v Wish I could attend.

 
At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come with me to Tennessee or North Carolina for a peaceful life of boredom.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Nancy said...

I hope the party goes well! I'm sure it will.

It was great seeing you last weekend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home