"the" Mrs. Astor

Friday, July 31, 2009

We had not been to Bob and Terry's new home in Westerly, Rhode Island, and found a charming house perched on a hill overlooking Weekapaug Beach in that town.
But, until you saw the house from the back, you could not get a grasp of just how large it is (Leo got lost this morning and I had to rescue him). Cool by Miami standards, it was sunny and the air delightfully crisp. So were the cocktails--which in typical New England fashion--started flowing at 1 PM and there was a deck for every new cocktail hour. We also noted that I had woefully under-packed for the number of "costume changes" needed; we may need to go into town to shop.
We took the Jeep and tooled around all of Westerly today for the enlightenment of Mr. Astor. No stranger to Victorian architecture (being from San Francisco), my baby was impressed by the magnitude of everything: the size of the homes, the acreage they sat on, and the abundance of woodlands. We drove by all the places I used to get drunk at; nothing has changed and, indeed, he now knows why I call it The Land That Time Forgot.


4 Comments:

At 2:48 AM, Blogger Countess Bedelia said...

Oh my....the Summer Palace could probably fit into their scullery. I think that we should name Bob and Terry as the King and Queen of the Northern Court. I feel quite humbled by their magnificence.

The Countess Bedelia is definitely way down on the Royal List. It might be time for a wrist slitting ceremony.

 
At 9:53 AM, Blogger Tom said...

What is all that green stuff where the street, sidewalk and trash should be? Quite lovely!

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

Ed...you have a one-track mind...and that's why I love you...once again, I need you email to send you something special...

Bedelia...we are trying to be humble...buy it isw hard

Tom...you are right..too much green...not enough laborers to take it away...they will drown some day....but, until them....

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Ed Grow said...

egrow (at) stanford (dot) edu

I need to send you some scandalous and incriminating photos as well.

Loves and kisses.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home