"the" Mrs. Astor

Saturday, May 16, 2009

There's no end to the danger of nature. The latest star on the scene is the Nile monitor lizard, a deadly, carnivorous monster that grows to 7 feet long. It likes alligator eggs, cats, and--reportedly--dachshunds. Native to Africa, like the pythons now battling for dominance with the alligators, they were let go by owners no longer able to deal with the beast. Said a biology professor from Tampa University, "One thing we do know: These are not little lizards eating bugs." Now, the little lizards we have hundreds of in the back yard (along with the possum family), but no carnivorous monsters, yet. The Everglades, however, is becoming a sort of Jurassic Park and, since most canals connect to it one way or another, it won't be long before they make an appearance in our own back yard. Look out, possums.

3 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And to think......one short week ago I was turning my nose up at your beloved possums. Right about now they're looking better and better.

 
At 4:03 PM, Blogger Alexis du Bois said...

SEE? I told you, and everyone who would listen to me, that possums just want to be left alone, and--if I can make their life a little more joyous by leaving them vanilla cake--why should I be afraid or hate them?

 
At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must admit you're right. Therefore, I shall place a piece of Kahlua cheesecake out in my backyard tonight, hoping to make a difference in the life of a possum.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home